3 years ago Karen Kelly couldn’t write a single line of code. Now, she is 30 days away from competing in a market full of millennials and most of them men. For her 20 year career, she was a successful sales rep but had become disheartened in her career and wanted a change so she started down a path to reinvent her career. To do that, she had to start over and go back to school…at 47 years old.
Her new career choice? Full-Stack Developer.
So how did she get from not being able to write code to be a qualified Full-Stack Developer with the technical chops to compete with millennials in the Tech Scene? She developed a 3 year plan and started executing it. At the time of this podcast interview, she was 30 days away from graduating from the Full-Stack Developer program at Galvanize and beginning her job hunt for her next career.
Here is a staggering statistic and what women wanting to get into technology will need to tackle.
Only 12.5% of Microsoft’s technology professionals are female…and this is actually a lot compared to most companies whose tech pros are less than 2% female.
Pointing out the obvious challenges that Karen is facing head-on, she is 47 years old and female. The cool part, she relishes the challenge and already has introduced programming as a career path to young women entering the workforce.
In this episode we discuss…
- What factors contributed to her quitting her sales job and end a 2 decade career.
- Career Reinvention as a 40-something female.
- Her thoughts around the technology and programming environment for females.
- Translating technology and Developer speak into plain English.
- The Full-Stack Developer program at Galvanize, The Learning Community for Technology Professionals in Austin, TX.
- The difference between front-end and back-end development.
- Competing for jobs in the technology space where most people are male and in their 20s.
So, for the people that would love to make a mid-life career change but really not sure what steps to take or where to start, listening to Karen’s story will help get you started.