Helene Godin traded in the life of business suits and a career as an Intellectual Property Attorney to be an entrepreneur and start By The Way Bakery, a gluten-free and dairy-free bakery in New York.
She loved being an attorney but after 22 years, she called her husband early one morning while standing in front of the company fax machine and said, “I think I’m done.” She quit and didn’t have any idea what she was going to do next.
“I think I’m done”
She recognized in the grocery store that the gluten-free section kept getting bigger and bigger. She enrolled in a 5 day baking bootcamp and came out determined that she would open up a bakery in her community of Hastings-on-Hudson, NY.
One year almost to the day of ending her career as an attorney, she opened her first store. 5 years later and she’s opened 2 more, been featured on Martha Stewart Living, The Huffington Post, The New York Times and Fortune and opening a new commercial kitchen to feed her growing business.
“Fear is the thing that gets in your way the most.” – Helene Godin
In this episode we discuss…
- A 22 year career as an Intellectual Property Attorney
- Working for large corporations andher first step into being an entrepreneur by founding her own law firm
- The “I think I’m done” early one morning while standing in front of the fax machine
- 5 day gluten-free baking bootcamp
- Learning how to bake gluten-free and dairy-free treats
- Founding a retail business in New York City
- Expanding a multi-location company by developing systems
- Being an attorney and baker but her real role as a Problem Solver
Locations: Westchester, 574 Warburton Ave, Hastings-on-Hudson, NY | Upper West Side, 2442 Broadway | Upper East Side, 1236 Lexington Ave
Dinner: A Love Story by Jenny Rosenstratch